Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 3 December 2007

Info Post
I would have to say that when it comes to space planning, Tokyo-ites have it down. New Yorkers could probably give them a good run for their money. In Hong Kong, though, the space planning is not very impressive in my opinion. It is not uncommon to find a family of 4 living in a 400 square foot place. To top that off, I was genuinely shocked to find that they do not count "net" square feet in Hong Kong. What does this mean? For weeks, I was looking at apartments or studios that advertised..150 Sq feet, 200 Sq Ft, or even 390 Sq.Ft. Every time I looked, I just could not figure out why it looked so small. That was when I discovered that they go by "structural" sq. feet which could include common areas such as the hallway outside your door or technically unusable sq. footage like where your water heater or etc would go. I felt so cheated. What this means is 400 Sq Ft is more like 300-350 Sq. Ft in net footage.

Needless to say, I was really disappointed as it was difficult to find places with any kind of bath tub. The Chinese do not really have a bathing culture and most people in Hong Kong prefer showers. To have a bath tub in Hong Kong is a luxury. I found some fabulous photos of custom finished bathrooms in this older edition of Elle Decor Hong Kong. Enjoy!

Western Styled

Rustic Style - clever finish on the concrete walls.

Love this look using cement. Gives the
feeling or illusion of rocks. Very Zen-like.

Ultimate marriage of Chinoiserie and a claw footed
tub. Drooling over the wallpaper...
Traditional Wooden Japanese Soaking tubs
are the way to go after a long day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment